Thursday, July 22, 2010

"IM LOVING IT" , "YOU CAN HAVE IT YOUR WAY"

No matter where we are or what we are watching, we are surrounded by advertisement. Many of us may not realize it but the commercial world has a huge affect on our lives. From the clothes we wear to the food we eat, we are persuaded by ads we see.Bodley mentioned in one of his chapters, the "combinations of urban life consisting of parent(s) working outside of the home and commercial advertisement  has increased  the demand of processed food and the convenience of "fast food." One day,jokingly, I asked one of my mom's friend who is a single parent with two  jobs, "How do you have the energy to cook after coming home from a long day and having to work in a few hours because after I'm done with school all I do is run to the closest food joint?" She simply just responded with "I dont. I wish I had the time to sit and have a home cooked meal with my children.cooking is not an option. That 45 minutes or 60 minutes that I am preparing dinner, I could be sleeping in order to get up for my next job. By  eating out, I'm spending less money than I would be spending at a grocery store." Eating out, she was referring to the advertisment that is consistently exposed to consumers on a daily bases. For example, Dominoes offer a medium pizza for only $6.00 or value meals at Mcdonalds for less than $5.00. "Fast Food" is a convenience because you order, drive through and pay all in less than 6 minutes. How can you argue with that after a long tiring day at work? Her story made it so real. We hear it about it but to here it in person puts things much more in perspective. Its not that they WANT to feed their children these junk but they have no other choice. Its the REAL WORLD that they are facing everyday. Dealing with being a single parent holding two jobs inorder to keep a roof over their childrens head. Corporations prey on families in urban area's such as, my mom's friend, because they understand the demand of cheap and "fast" food. Childrens health? Corporations dont care. Its where the money is.
                                                    -Fawnda

No comments:

Post a Comment