Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hidden "Nutrition"

America had a serious freakout after the release of the famous Quackumentary, Super Size Me, which  documented the adverse effects of eating fast food.

Fearing every naughty morsel that ever passed our lips, we started pointing fingers in all directions.

Sure, it used to be considered "taboo" for employees to talk about what went in those juicy patties. Yes, we had to force them to distribute the Nutrition Facts, practically at gunpoint. Well, knowing what really IS in those "Happy Meals," I probably wouldn't want to share that information either.

While I do not think that our ridiculously expanded collective waistband is entirely the fault of companies like McDonald's or Starbucks , I do agree that they could have done more to, oh I don't know, keep their customer base from going extinct due to heart failure? That said, don't try to argue they were the ones who made you fat. Ronald, the creepy pedophile clown, didn't shove that burger down your throat - YOU did Piggy (though it's definitely true that sometimes there's not much choice in the way of available food sources).

There are new laws that have been created to try to essentially "save us from ourselves," through pre-treat guilt-tripping (via clearly posted nutritional values). It's true, I am less likely to indulge in a Vente Soy Chai Latte if I have the calorie count and fat content shoved in front of me. But does that mean I'll be giving those babies up entirely?
Pshhhh, dream on you skinny b*tches! Me like-y my SCL's.

Thinking about what I personally consume, with that defensive attitude in mind, I wonder if our addiction to "bad bites" has reached the point of no return. In all honesty, many American's don't really want to know what's in their food. A lot of us secretly wish that those nutritional facts had stayed hidden (as long as you didnt know, then it wasn't that bad - similar to how we joke that if it's free, then there's no calories). I mean, I doubt you've ever eaten a Twinkie and gone "I bet that was packed with protein and Vitamin D!" You know it's not diet-food.
We know how bad it probably is, and are afraid we'll end up having to give up our favorite treats.


But think about it - are you really going to eat health foods for the rest of your life, just 'cause a creepy blonde-moustached guy OD'd on Big Mac's, and barfed out his car window?

~Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment