Thursday, July 22, 2010

Back Against the Wall

Many families in Oakland, Ca are greatly affected by the system. Living in one of the richest counrty in the world, why are children malnourish? Why is it a struggle to get access to nutrients or even food at all? When I was interning for a elementary school, I had an opportunity to build a relationship with one of my student's parent. I recall a mother saying, "When my back is against the wall, I have to keep pushing. The future is so blurry." I've been living in Oakland all my life and the poverty that I am surrounded by seems so "normal."  I never noticed there were so many corners stores than grocery stores and the over-consumption of food. Over-consumption of processed food that is. Adaption. I Adapted to a system that is not made for people like myself. But, adapting is not good enough.   --Fawnda  

No comments:

Post a Comment