Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hungry? Grab a Snick....oh wait, you can't afford candy bars

Everything in the Bay Area is so expensive these days that sometimes many of us have to go to extreme measures to make ends meet. Rent is so high, I've seriously considered living out of a cardboard box behind a friends' place. Minimum wage doesn't really give you a lot to work with, when you have bills to pay. The increase in public transit fees only makes our money situation worse, and then your stomach starts growling in rage at your empty fridge.

So what do you do?


Some of us have done the Poor-Mans Diet:
"wow, girl have you lost weight?!"
"yeah, cause I can't afford food."

others try living on straight rice and oatmeal.
Trust me, while these foods fill you up, they make you crazy. Eventually you NEED real foods with those almost mythical things called "vitamins and minerals," but you can't get much at your neighborhood corner store.

My last desperate choice was theft. Thankfully my dad has a garden at his house with the stuff we couldn't find...you know, FRUITS and VEGETABLES. I know that I'm really lucky to have that as a last resort....but having to travel that far to steal from your own parents so you don't get Scurvy or something isn't ideal. Having real healthy options in all areas, at prices that won't make you homeless is ideal.


~Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment